Deer can be found everywhere, from a silhouette on a road sign to a painting of a nature scene. This simple tutorial will teach you how to draw one.
- Draw the head. Sketch in two circles, a large one and a small one. Connect the two circles with a line, like so. Put in some guidelines for the eyes, nose and mouth.
- Create two ovals for the ears and smaller ovals within those for the inner ears. In front of that, draw two small triangles for the horns. (Antlers can be difficult to draw, so we’ll hold off on them for now.)
- Draw an oval for the neck and connect that with a slanted, much larger oval for the body. The deer’s body should not end up as an oval, so don’t worry if your oval here isn’t flawlessly shaped. In fact, if you want to curve your oval so it looks more realistic, go ahead.
- For the front legs, draw two ovals for each and connect them to two thin long rectangles. For the back legs, draw a much larger oval connected to two long, thin rectangles. Draw in triangles for the hooves. (Refer to the illustration for the placing of each shape.)
- Draw the tail. You should sketch it in a manner similar to what’s shown, but it's up to you how long it should be.
- Sketch in the eyes and snout. Be careful especially with the eyes, making them almond shaped but not too small (unless you’re going with the “deer in headlights” look) with discernible pupils.
- Outline the whole image and erase guidelines. Be very careful with this step, since you don't want to erase any lines that you actually need.
- Color your drawing. Put in some shadows and shading, as well as the occasional spot.
- Draw lightly in pencil so that you can easily rub out mistakes.
- Bambi is an excellent reference point for observing the figure of a deer, particularly to see how it changes over the years as Bambi grows up. Watch the movie and pause at different points to look at deer in the midst of activity, lying down, etc. This will provide you with a better overall understanding of the way deer look, and you’ll be able to draw one more effectively next time.
- How to Draw a Baboon
- How to Draw a Pig
- How to Draw a Cute Dragon Fly
- How to Draw an Adorable Cartoon Cow