Drawing is a good hobby for everyone. It is also relaxing. As the saying goes, “Everyone to his taste”, our interests may be different. Some like drawing designs, some like drawing scenes and some, cartoons.
Here is a page on how to draw basic male and female figures using basic shapes:
- Plan your drawing. Draw some vertical and horizontal lines to plan your drawing. Planning is also important for the proportion of the drawing. Measure the figure by seeing how many times the head fits in the body height.
- Draw some basic shapes to represent the parts of the body by using a pencil. Circles, rectangles, ovals and triangles can be used.For the varieties of human figures, you can also use different kinds and sizes of circles and ovals, etc. For example, to draw a fat man, you can use a big oval for his body part.To draw a short girl, you can use small and short ovals, rectangles and circles.According to your imagination and creativity, you can alter or use different kinds of shapes to make your drawings funny or strange.
- Sketch the outlines lightly using a pencil. This step is important as you need to try to draw your figure in a realistic and lively way.
- Draw the details of the drawing i.e. clothes, accessories. You can use a pen to finalize your drawing. You can put your desired clothes and colors.
- For the first time, you will find it a bit difficult to draw a well proportioned figure. Try to draw for a quite a number of times. You can eventually improve your drawings.
- It is recommended when starting out to use a reference, either from photos from magazines, newspapers, the internet or if possible a real person.
- The details and clothing can indicate the type of individual person, his character and his professions.
- To help get the proportions right, the average adult body is seven times the length of the head (this includes the head itself) with the head taking up one, the torso taking up 2-3 and the legs taking up the rest. Experiment. You'll know when it looks right.
- Draw lightly as you can. So later when your sketch is correct you can draw over the lighter lines with a darker one.
Things You'll Need
- pencil(2b 4b 6b )
- colored pencils
- How to Draw Fashion Illustrations
- How to Draw a Human Head
- How to Draw the Same Person but with Different Facial Features
- How to Draw a Body